5 best things about where you guide?
- The team, aka Die Ous, aka The A-TEAM. We’re the best. It is really a blessing to have been chosen to work with them.
- The desert environment I work in, including Tutwa Lodge, Augrabies National Park and the many special places around it.
- It’s mind blowing, the huge number of wildlife species we have. The birds can`t stop singing and there are wild animals everywhere. Even the cows are wild. You hardly ever see people on the river except your fellow fly fishermen.
- The natural environment around the Orange River is so awesome, especially the section we are paddling in. The river is calm here with nice, clean flows.
- The fishing is truly insane. When you see the numbers of fish we have, it will blow your mind.
5 common mistakes that clients make?
- Trying to cast very far even when they don’t have to. It can drain a lot of your energy and still often results in no fish landed.
- Underestimating the guide’s ability to put them into a fish.
- Noticing a very nice spot or hole in a rapid and then wading straight to that spot and spooking the fish, instead of fishing the water leading up to that spot.
- Not bringing enough water.
- Not bringing a wading stick. Some folks are not physically fit enough to wade without a stick so they end up falling in the river and causing chaos in the water.
5 indispensable flies for freshwater?
- Wooly Bugger.
- Caddis (natural green and mustard).
- Black and Olive Nosediver.
Catch the rest of Thembane’s High 5s in issue 18 of The Mission here.