The 5 best things about where Andrew Apsey of Upstream Flyfishing guides.
5 best things about where you guide for Upstream Flyfishing?
- The people you meet on the water. Cape Town is a great tourist destination and I have had the pleasure to guide clients from the United States, Europe, Australia and South Africa. They each have their own story to tell and motivation for fly fishing.
- The variety of fly fishing, from our Cape Streams, to our local estuaries and the inshore saltwater opportunities. You learning something new each day on the water and from your clients.
- The fishing destinations are all relatively close to Cape Town. You can leave the hustle of the city and get out on to the water for a day’s fishing, while enjoying the best the Cape has to offer.
- My varied week. Some days I’m out on the water with clients, or spending time in the fly shop helping customers prepare for a trip. Or I’ll spend a couple of hours on the vice working on some new patterns.
- We have a great fly fishing community with some very experienced anglers, many of whom continue to push the boundaries when targeting our local species with new techniques and fly patterns. The opportunity to broaden your knowledge and skills is endless.
Get this edition of The Mission Fly Mag in print
Going against the conventional flow of guides who quit guiding to ‘get a real job,’ Upstream Flyfishing’s Andrew Apsey gave up a corporate career to join the fly fishing game. Judging from his chipper vaab, he’s never looked back. Grab the rest of his issue 20 High 5s Q&A below: