What to pack when fly fishing for tigerfish? Platon Trakoshis prepares for fly fishing in the Okavango.
It’s been years since I’ve been to the Okavango. So when Tudor called and said there’s a possible trip coming up, I leapt at it like a tigerfish launching after a baitfish hanging off the edge of the barbel run. Well, that’s what we are hopefully going to find.
Not that I haven’t been tigerfishing since my last trip there, just that I was drawn to the Upper Zambezi for bigger fish and the access is easier nowadays.
But the Okavango is a special place, one of the few inland deltas in the world, it is unique and also the fishing feels really remote. We are on a houseboat for a few days so we will be searching for the run and the tigerfish, bream and serranochromis which will be in hot pursuit of the bounty it provides. Hopefully, we will have some stories to tell on our return.
Here’s a checklist of what I am taking on the trip. Catch you on the other side.
What to pack when fly fishing for tigerfish: Okavango checklist
- 2 x 9wt
- 1 x 8wt
- 2 x 7wt
Lines and Reels
- 1 x 9wt fast sink integrated shooting head Di7
- 1 x 9wt intermediate
- 1 x 9wt floater
- 1 x 8wt fast sink 250 grain fast sing Di8
- 1 x 8wt intermediate
- 1 x 8wt floating
- 1 x 7wt integrated shooting head Di5
- 1 x 7wt intermediate
- 1 x 7wt floating
- 1 x 8wt shooting head Di7
- 1 x 9wt shooting head Di7
- 1 x 10wt shooting head Di7
- 2 x running lines
- Leader – 15 maxima Fluoro, 20, 25, 30 lb Maxima Ultra Green
- # 2 or # 3 single strand wire and #8 power swivels
- Knotable wire.
- Du Bro haywire twist tools x 2
- Du Bro wire straightener.
- Wire cutter
- Line Snips
- Knives – Leatherman, Swiss army knife, opinel, Kershaw.
- Fly Boxes with tigerfish flies.
- Fly Box with Bream and Serranochromis.
- Fishing Pliers
Finger line guards (very important)
Polarized sun glasses plus spare
Clear or low light glasses for evening boat travel
Rucksack or tackle bag for the boat
Bobbin, Super glue, Braided loops
- Footwear: Flip-flops / tackies / boat shoes|
Fishing shirt hoodies
- Fishing shorts
Tee shirts / shorts
Cap plus spare (Lucky ones)
Fleece / sweater
Quick dry pants long pants
- Boat socks
- Mozzie stuff
Sunscreen, Lip Ice
- Head Torch, Hand tourch
- Canon RP
- 24 – 105mm
- 50 mm prime
- 75 – 300mm
- Spare batteries x 3
- Battery charger
- Mini tripod
- Tall legs
- Directional mic
- 2 x Hard Drives
- iPhone waterproof cover
- IPhone solar charger.